Sunday 21 July 2024

Back To My Roots

I went back home to Goldenhill, last night, to the Northern Soul and Motown night at the Community Centre.  Its actually, the third time I've been, now, and is rapidly becoming one of my favourite venues, and last night was the best attended, yet, though the large hall, and dance floor easily accommodated everyone, with plenty of seating, as well as the free buffet.

The dance floor, is one of the biggest you will find anywhere with current venues, apart from places like the Kings Hall, in Stoke.  Obviously, having been born and grown up in Goldenhill, that was no news to me, though it had been some time since I'd been inside, so I was glad to see it was as big as I remembered it.

The first ever time I remember going dancing there was, when I was about 12 or 13, which was to just a run of the mill disco of the time, with a local pop group also playing.  A while ago, going through some old stuff, I even found an autograph from the group, the Quantrells.  The only other things I remember about it was everyone dancing to March of The Mods, and one of my school friends, Paul Matusa, who was Romanian, turning up wearing an Indian style, long floral patterned coat, like the ones the Beatles were wearing at the time.  There again, a year or so later, I turned up to my sister's wedding wearing a bright orange double breasted, three-quarter length jacket.  Fortunately, fashion sense has improved.

It was good to see the new generation of Northern Soul dancers there, in the shape of Connor, who I got to talk to, and compare notes, between us both doing splits and back drops.  (Though I'm still impressed with this other geezer in the hat's backdrops, dancing with Connor, in this video from Nantwich last year.)


Some good fast tracks played to dance to as well, including "All Turned On", which I haven't heard played, anywhere, for ages.

Back to another old haunt, next Saturday, at Kidsgrove Town Hall.  Can't wait.

No comments: