Sunday 27 June 2010

Soul Boy

A couple of years ago I wrote a blog Still Not Souled Out about the film my son was crewing on about Northern Soul, being made in Stoke at that time. At that time it had the working title, “Souled Out”. Tomorrow the film gets its Premiere in London. My son's going down for it, not just because he was crewing, but also because he had a minor part as a bartender. The interesting thing here, and its not surprising given the nature of Northern Soul as a working-class phenomena, is that it combines the two things discussed on this blog – Soul Music, and politics. The film is after all set in 1974 during the great Miners Strike of that year that brought down the Heath Tory Government. The choreographer on the film is the guy who did the Northern Soul dancing on Duffy's “Mercy” video In the meantime one of the lead actors Nichola Burley has appeared in another dancing film “Streetdance”. I still think the Northern dancers are better personally, but then I would. I wish I'd gone and done some dancing on it as an extra now, which I was offered the chance to do.

No comments: