Tuesday 5 May 2009

Good on Gordon

Gordon Brown is to host an "Autism Speaks" event at Downing Street today. It was originally intended to be at Number 10, but Gordie has kicked out Alistair Darling to use the bigger accommodation at Number 11. Barack Obama has also included in legislation greater resources for Autism.

It is much needed. As one contributor who had set up the charity, said to CNBC today, we are looking at the problems from a Swin Flue Pandemic, yet around 1 in every 150 people suffer from Autism. That lack of resources is reflected in how little people in general know or understand Autism. Its only, last year that I managed to get an assessment of my son, who is 27, as suffering from Asperger's Syndrome, which is one of the Autistic Spectrum Disorder conditions, and only as a result of that, and my own research that I came to realise that I suffer with it too, though not as badly as my son. In fact, there is even a debate over whether it scorrect to use the term "suffer", or whether it is a disability, as this dialogue at the BBC illustrates:

Asperger's Not a Disability , a debate I also had with Janine and Miss Stroppy a couple of months back.

No comments: